Friday, April 26, 2013

Join the Movement: National Infertility Awareness Week!


This week marks National Infertility Awareness Week.  I know in previous years I've mentioned it in quick passing. I don't consider myself very good at blogging themes. They always like an assignment and suddenly I always feel woefully under researched on the topic. I'm going to try my best this year though...so hang with me.

For 2013 the theme for National Infertility Awareness Week is "Join the Movement."  For days I've been mulling it over in my head what this could mean for my life. I mean let's be honest here....in 2011 I did IVF, got pregnant and in early 2012 had my miracle baby. Then 6 1/2 months later I was pregnant without medical help and I'm a few weeks to delivery.  We have no plans to have anymore kids, at least not in the next 5 years.  Our frozen embryos are being donated (topic for another day) to help another couple.  Where on Earth do I fit in with the infertility community?  I can certainly relate to people going through the journey and give some advice, but I'm not really on the inside anymore.  What movement am I part of? Finally after sitting here awhile I think I got it. It's not about being an "insider," but instead continuing to advocate for those still facing the journey to parenthood or whatever end result gives them peace.  Infertility will affect 1 in 8 people. That's a lot of people! And yet it's still something kept so quiet.  My "Join the Movement" pledge is my commitment to keep the topic out there, because though my infertility journey has changed course I can still keep working for others.  No one should be ashamed or have to suffer in silence while dealing with infertility.

-Liz





No comments:

Post a Comment